If you are thinking about replacing your silver or metal fillings, we implore you to consider the following information. You may have heard or read about tooth-colored fillings which are widely used in modern dentistry.
At Dr. Parul Mehta & Associates, we replace silver (or amalgam) fillings with tooth-colored fillings (professionally called composite fillings) to patients of various ages. However, we do so under certain circumstances.
Damage Must Be Present
It can be unsafe to replace amalgam fillings if they are not damaged. Hence, Dr. Mehta will need to verify the condition of your amalgam fillings before recommending replacing them with composite fillings. The type of damage that we look for to qualify this procedure includes:
- Chipped and cracked fillings
- Reoccurring decay around the fillings
- Gaps and spacing between the natural tooth & the filling
When you come in for your bi-annual cleaning, Dr. Mehta can determine if the above conditions exist.
Advantages of Composite Fillings
Dental advancements are changing the way dentistry is practiced. We embrace several types of dental advancements and technologies including composite fillings due to the many benefits they offer. Some of the key benefits of composite fillings are:
- Less health tooth is sacrificed to place the filling (amalgam fillings require more healthy tooth removal)
- Bond directly to the tooth
- Strengthen teeth instead of weakening them like amalgam fillings
- Safer since they do not leach metal overtime or when damaged
The obvious and most desired advantage of composites is the appearance. Are you still wondering if you can your amalgam fillings replaced? The dental team at Dr. Mehta & Associates enjoys sharing helpful dental information with our patients (and blog readers). Call us today for an appointment.
The contact number for our Riverside office is (951) 667-1595, while our Temecula office number is (951) 383-6858.