If you ever encountered bad breath, you know how offending it can be. However, you might be surprised how many do not fully understand how to combat it. There are a variety of things that can be done to get rid of bad breath. It all begins with understanding what is going on in one’s mouth.
What Causes Bad Breath?
Usually, bad breath is simply an accumulation of odor-causing bacteria. A good regimen of oral hygiene is likely the cause. Failing to do all of the recommended teeth and mouth cleaning strategies such as flossing, gargling, and brushing will leave food particles in the mouth. This is especially the case with small food particles that can be trapped between teeth and along gum lines.
Diet can also result in foul breath. Heavy coffee drinkers, smokers, dry mouth, medications, and certain sinus conditions can also be at the root of the problem. Increasing brushing and flossing throughout the day can reduce bad breath. If the problem continues, it may be a sign of gum disease. Visit your dentist to see if gum disease has developed. Even if halitosis has set in, your dentist can formulate strategies that can help you to overcome this problem.
Here is a short list of 5 things you can do to make sure that you don’t offend anyone with your breath:
- Be cognizant of certain drinks – Coffee, beer, wine, and whiskey top the list of liquid offenders.
- Replace Your Toothbrush – Bacteria spreads. Make sure that you don’t brush with a bacteria farm on your toothbrush. Replace it every 3
- Floss, floss, and floss – Floss gets those hard to reach places. If you are having trouble with your technique, ask your dentist for help. Also, you can try a water jet flosser for better results.
- Mouthwash – In addition to commercial mouthwashes, try rinsing with a diluted peroxide or baking soda solution. These are excellent rinses that kill bacteria.
- Spices Are Nice – Eating some mint leaves or parsley is healthy and good for your breath.
Dr. Mehta & Associates specializes in root canals, family dentistry, crowns, and emergency dental services if you would like to or have questions about a procedure, feel free to contact us or schedule an appointment.
Temecula office at (951) 383-6858
Riverside office on (958) 667-1595